Tuesday 15 November 2016

Bath Bomb Blues; or how I almost lost my mind while trying a simple craft project!

With Steve busy working on our ongoing renovations, I found myself at an unusual loose end. Given than the main work on the gite now entailed plumbing in a bathroom, it was not something I could help with. Well not if we actually wanted it to work!



Hard at work in the gite bathroom








However, I like to be busy. I think that’s fair to say. I also like to try new things. Someone once laughed at me and said they had never known anyone who had had so many different jobs in their life. To date;

Exercise jockey in a national hunt racing yard
Riding instructress
Aldi checkout gal (when you had to memorise ALL the prices)
Cleaner
Bar work
Classroom assistant
Residential social worker
Foster carer
Qualified social worker
Singer
Author



I've always loved horses







What can I say? I have a low boredom threshold and like new challenges and adventures.



My most recent project! My latest novel







How, in my wildest dreams I thought that making bath bombs might be a good idea, I do not know. For a start, I have no, and I mean NO artistic talent for this kind of thing, whatsoever.

None.
Seriously.
None.

When my poor children had to produce a homemade craft project for school, my stomach would cramp into a knot and I would break out into a sweat and hide in the corner sobbing and clutching a bottle of Chardonnay, but they always found me.  

Reluctantly, I would gather the requisite materials; paper, cardboard, glue, glitter, paint, fairy liquid bottle, nitro glycerine etc. I would then have sleepless nights as I worried about how utterly pathetic my little moppets’ creations would be in comparison with the other children’s ringingly successful and startlingly professional looking pieces, which quite frankly looked as if they had been assembled by Leonardo Da Vinci himself. I would slink shame faced into the classroom with my feeble, lop sided effort, which was more sellotape than anything else, while the teachers hid behind their hands and tried not to point and laugh.

I’m still having therapy.

Anyway, back to the bath bombs. I think it began when I developed an interest in aromatherapy and the use of essential oils. For those of you that know me, I am an all or nothing sort of person and once my interest in something is piqued, I have to go all out to embrace it (The words “all or nothing” in this case can be replaced by the words “particularly stupid”).

There are no half measures for people born under the sign of Capricorn!

In the case of the aromatherapy, it entailed buying a ridiculously large collection of oils; not just any oils you understand, but “essential” oils. I think they call them essential to make sure that people like me buy them; I mean, they’re essential right?




A few of my oh so essential oils; how do you like my egg box ha ha




Many of these oils are impossibly expensive. I appreciate that the amount of jasmine it takes to make one drop of oil equates to the size of a small country, but really, £8.99 for a 2ml bottle – pu-lease. That was one even I didn’t buy! Once you have the oil of course, you have to have the carrier oil. I discovered that the carrier oils are almost as varied as the essential oils themselves and have wonderful tempting names such as peach kernel, and essence of avocado. So, having added a good half dozen carrier oils to the ever growing list of essential oils, to my basket at Amazon, I hit the “checkout” button and almost passed out. What? What do you mean £156.98? For a few miniscule bottles of oil. Clearly, this would not do, and so I set about pruning my basket until I felt confident that I had avoided bankruptcy (for now).


The equally essential carrier oils





Said oils then arrived, and I spent a delightful hour oohing and aahing and the truly marvellous scents and almost magical properties of these unassuming little bottles.

Next of course, I had to have a diffuser. Well naturally I did! Did you expect anything less? In fact, I have to admit, I bought two J. These tiny wonders of beautifulness, which change colour every few seconds, and quietly emit a polite atomised mist of scented loveliness were quite frankly, irresistible.  Really I should be on commission as, such was my enthusiasm, I talked more than one of my friends into buying them too!



My precious light up diffuser







Then there were the books; I needed books, and not Kindle books as you can’t flick back and forth easily with the Kindle. Thankfully Amazon have 2nd hand books, and so for a change, I managed to get an utter bargain in bagging 2 books for 0.01p each J Postage however, was another matter but I managed to convince myself that the books only cost 0.01p, as long as I ignored the postage costs. 

I think it’s called ostrich syndrome.

The more I read about the wonders of essential oils, the more interested I became, so much so that I looked into becoming an aromatherapist. Of course I did - remember, no half measures! Realising however, that renovating a house, caring for a high maintenance husband and an even higher maintenance dog, whilst at the same time trying to write another book was possibly enough for the moment, this bright idea had to be shelved (for now). 

Instead I continued to read about all the endless things you could do with essential oils, and one of them was to make bath bombs.

With unfettered excitement, I imagined the satisfaction of making my own bath bomb Christmas gifts for friends and family. I allowed myself a moment to smile inwardly as I pictured the amazed looks on their faces as they marvelled at my handiwork and exclaimed at how very clever I was. I tried to push aside the more realistic conclusion, which took me back to the pitying glances and whispered comments of the teachers at my daughters’ school when they saw the latest offering for the craft project.

Not one to be deterred, and uttering the (later to be regretted) words of “How hard can it be”? I set about Googling “How to make your own bath bombs”. Thankfully I remembered to put the word “bath” in there, thus avoiding a raid by the French police.

“Aha” I said, grimacing, as I read the alarmingly long list of necessary ingredients and duly logged back into Amazon for another round of totally unnecessary shopping. I had not appreciated the seemingly endless components of a simple fizzy bath bomb.  “WHAT? “Why do I need citric acid? Surely anything with the word acid in it can’t be good for adding to a bath”? I said, thinking immediately of John Haigh, the acid bath murderer. However, it appeared, after a LOT more Googling, that citric acid was indeed a “must have” ingredient, and so into the Amazon basket it went.

Sigh.

As well as the citric acid, you need Epsom salt, bicarbonate of soda, cornflour, food colouring, oil (ha, got that) and essential oils (yep) and you have the basics of a bath bomb.

Oh but wait; how do I mould them?

More Googling.

Aha, clearly I need to order some bath bomb moulds as fashioning one with my bare hands wasn’t really an option.

Finally, all my ingredients were assembled in one place; and so to work.

To say that my first effort was a total disaster is an understatement. I followed a recipe from one of the many Internet sites, which had obviously been put there to drive people like me over the edge. The amount of water was clearly excessive, though in my inexperienced naivety I had no idea how little liquid was actually required.

I added the water with a kind of gung ho abandon, but before I could begin to “Whisk until the mixture forms clumps”, it took on a life force of its own and within seconds resembled a dangerous alien life form. It foamed and fizzed and expanded at an alarming rate.

“This can’t be right” I said with amazing intelligence and insight.

I tried to ignore the extreme chemical reaction, which was taking place in front of my eyes, along with the choking cough I had developed due to the large amount of (undoubtedly dangerous) powered elements floating about in the air. Instead I focused on the next instruction, which was, “Pick up a small amount of the mixture and press into the mould”

I observed the “mixture” which was way beyond the stage of forming clumps and knew that in reality it was a lost cause. I gritted my teeth and muttered a lot, while trying to pick some of it up, but the blasted stuff was so assured of its own powers that it defied handling. It oozed from between my fingers and all but laughed out loud at me.

Never one to give up, I duly “pressed it into the mould” which had cost me a tenner plus P&P. I swiftly clapped on the other half of the mould and held tight.

The mixture emboldened by its success in failing, demonstrated a quite remarkable strength as it slowly and unbelievably pushed the sides of the mould apart.  I held on for a few more seconds before I acknowledged defeat and threw the whole lot bad temperedly into the sink accompanied by a lot of unprintable words.

I then realised that this was not as easy as I had anticipated and did what I should have done in the first place; I watched a You Tube tutorial.

Oh my life.

The first one I found was astonishing in its annoyingness. A bright breezy “mom” who not only had the perfect life in her perfect house; she also had perfect children, perfect teeth, and could also apparently make the perfect bath bomb, while looking immaculate and making no mess whatsoever. 

She brought out the worst in me and I had to switch her off, while fighting off waves of envy and muttering,"bitch" under my breath.

Eventually, I found a more acceptable, less irritating video, took notes and tried again.

The results were more pleasing, but the first try wasn’t quite a success. Too much liquid again, which meant that the bath bombs refused to leave the safety of their moulds. Undeterred, I tried yet again. This time, I had the brainwave of adding the liquid via a fine atomiser.

RESULT

I never thought I would hear the words, “Yey it’s clumping” come out of my mouth, but they did, as clump it did. I quickly stuffed it into the moulds, squished the 2 sides together and prayed it wouldn’t escape again. Nope, all seemed calm. Tentatively, I tried removing one half of the mould …….. it came away without argument and I found myself mocking the mixture in triumph. “Ha, not so fizzy now are we? That showed you” and other inane comments, bourn of the lunacy this project had evoked in me.



Project bath bomb!




My kitchen now resembled some sort of dodgy amateur cocaine factory with white powder spread across every available surface, but I had done it. I had won!



White powder all over the place!



And so there it was, my lovely round bath bomb, which of course I shall never actually use. I shall look at it, smell it and marvel at its loveliness.



Come on, admit it - it's good





I shall also try to ignore the fact that it cost me approximately £134.78 to make and I could have bought one for £2.50 in Lush!

C’est la vie



Freya xx

No comments:

Post a Comment